Home
Forum Register Flash Chat Newsletters Articles Today's Post

Old 02-12-2005, 01:36 AM
VWDForumTeam Member

Andy is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Andy Send a message via MSN to Andy Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
G.I. Jane and D.H. Lawrence

Just caught a re-run of G.I. Jane, there's a great quote in there from D.H. Lawrence.
It seems Demi Moore's character was giving the "hurumph" face, granted she was knee high in cold water but we've all been there mentally,

is it really worth it?
why am I doing this?
what are they doing that I'm not?
boo-hoo

but here's what D.H. Lawrence wrote that becomes a poignant thread of the movie..
Quote:
I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
without ever having felt sorry for itself.
It's so simple you have to read it twice before it sinks in. I've read it before a long time ago and the film reminded me of how much of an impression it made to me all those years ago.
A bird or other animal wont ever feel sorry for itself if it hasn't got food or shelter (or signups!), it'll keep going until it gets it. It never occurs to it to quit.

keep looking, keep phoning, keep doing something and you'll succeed, and you definitely wont die! not even frozen from a bough!! :P

whatever you do, you will get a result. It may not be the result you was after but that's OK, learn from that and change your actions subtly for the next time and you will get a different result. (A.Robbins - Personal Power)

Andy
Ads >( ?):

Old 13-04-2006, 08:36 PM
gibbo2006

Hi Andy - nice quote but I guess the thing to remember is we have disadvantages and advantages over the animal kingdom in this sense:

The major disadvantage being - it's easy to get lost in the negative and thinking everything's "against you"

Howvever,

Major advantage: we all have the power of free will - it's up to you to make a change and make a difference. If you believe you can make a difference you will.

Good book to recommend, somewhat randomly and it a bit of an aside from this but very interesting if you're into human psychology - "Blink". Check it out. It will open your eyes to the things we take for granted in our every action, our every thought.

See ya,

Alex ;)